Friday, March 7, 2008

The courage to suffer

My therapist has me doing some amazing reading on finding meaning in life.  In one book there is the idea that it takes courage to suffer.  This concept really resonated with me.  

It takes courage to endure suffering.

Because it does.  Because it is hard.  Because it takes more out of you than you can imagine.  Because it would be so easy to not get up again.  To find a way around the suffering.  To mask the suffering with substances.

So, I've been telling folks that I know that are suffering how courageous they are.  Because I don't remember being told exactly that when I was at my worst (friends and family, don't feel bad and if you did tell me and I forgot - that's the memory issue).  Sometimes it seems to surprise them.  I'm not telling them that they will feel better soon, or how sorry I am that they feel this way.  I am applauding them for something they didn't realize they had.

Courage.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Hi honey,

What an excellent observation. I just picked up an old book (1933) that is titled "The Courage of Ignorance". The basic premise is this: When you are ignorant of the outcome and try any way, that is true courage.

You are very courageous.
Hugs,
Kelly