Sunday, February 3, 2008

Books

Since I've spent some time bashing books on bipolar and depression, and since a commenter mentioned a couple to me (one I had read and one I had not), I thought it might be helpful to tell you the books I do use.  It is also worth noting that nothing - not even these books - helped when I was in fetal position on the floor.  (OK, sedatives helped a little bit) Ironically the self-help books only seem to help when you are on the path of recovery.  That's why I had such a negative reaction to them for so long. Here goes:

"Why am I still depressed?" by Jim Phelps, MD
This is the best book I have found on Bipolar II.  It really helped me understand the illness, and is particularly good on describing the medicine side of things.

"The Mindful Way through Depression" by Williams, Teasdale, Segal and Kabat-Zimm
Think calm, meditative thoughts.  Learn how to live with the pain and keep it separate from yourself.  Learn how to use your senses to alleviate suffering.  I'm still working my way through this one.

"Take Charge of Bipolar Disorder" by Julie Fast and John Preston
Julie Fast is one of the queens of bipolar disorder.  In addition to this book, my husband is reading one of her other books: "Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder."  They have a "4-step" plan, which I normally hate and don't hesitate to ridicule.  However, some things in this books really resonated with me, particularly some of the ways they explained certain symptoms.

"The Bipolar Workbook" by Monica Ramirez Basco
Pretty basic kind of cognitive behavioral approach stuff.  But, again, I have found some of the passages helpful in that I could see myself and my symptoms.

"Anxiety and Depression Workbook for Dummies" by Elliot and Smith
Yes, it's part of that series, and yes, it's good.  Some of the better written exercises I've done come from here.

And of course - 

"The Unquiet Mind" by Kay Jamison
This is like the bipolar bible.  This was the first thing my doctor suggested I read - right after he had given me my diagnosis.  It's her story and it's worth a read if you are bipolar, or if you love someone with bipolar.

So, that's my Sunday book review.  I've got a larger stack of of books in the basement that I might pull out and try again - books like "Feeling Good," books that are standards for depression but ones I haven't gotten into yet.  The books above, however, I just pulled from the side of my bed.

Happy Reading.

No comments: