Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Growing Pains

At Camp yesterday during arts and crafts time, we had to choose an animal that we felt represented ourselves, and then choose animals that represented the major players in our lives.

I selected a butterfly for myself - because I am trying to view this as a metamorphosis instead of the nightmare it often feels like.  Butterflies are beautiful and emerge from a long sleep completely transformed.  But a butterfly is very fragile and can't take a lot of weight. Particularly when learning how to fly.  I choose another butterfly for my mate - since I believe we have a lot of growing to do together.  As the closest one to this crazy ride, he will both be the most affected by it and the most changed by it.

So, there we are.  Floating with no place to land.  Trying out our new wings.  A partnership but not a merger.  Growing together - will all the growing pains and struggle that usually accompanies rapid change.

No comments: