Sunday, February 10, 2008

My eulogy

One of the books I'm reading speaks of drafting your own eulogy as a way of determining your priorities and goals in life.  You are supposed to write it not as you are but as you would like to be.  I have been mulling this around in my head for weeks.  I couldn't get started on this exercise no matter what.  I was stuck.  

Also, since I'm getting on a plane in a week and since I have an enormous phobia about flying, I am convinced that doing such a thing will make the plane crash.  Seriously.  That's just the way my brain works.  I should add that going to a doctor can also make the sickness real.  This I believe.

But back to the eulogy.  It's really been bugging me that I couldn't put pen to paper on this one.  Then last night at a hockey game with my husband, of all places, it started to flow right out of my head on into my hands.  So there I was amidst the cow bells and shouts writing down what I wanted to be remembered for.  Here goes:

She faced adversity with perseverance and wit.  She paid her dues.  She endured more than most in her lifetime but she didn't allow it to detract from the simple pleasures in life.  She appreciated that happiness can often flow from the small - the sound of a hard rain, good food, good company, a beautiful flower or a good book.  She loved to read and write; she treasured the written word and helped others understand adversity through it.  She wasn't afraid of looking like a fool.  She wouldn't pass up the opportunity to try something new because she might look awkward or incompetent. 

She strove to better the world for the people she loved, and those around her.  She had a strong sense of right and wrong, and always spoke for the unjust.  Her professional life embodied these principals, but family was her center.  She made her loved ones feel total affection and a deep, abiding love.  She will be remembered for her laugh and twinkling smile.

She died peacefully in her sleep, surrounded by her children and their partners, her grandchildren, and her great-grandchildren. 

Let's hope I get there.  Over and out.

No comments: