Sunday, February 17, 2008

What do I want to be when I grow up?

When you are in your early 20s, the world is your oyster.  So many career paths to take, and so little time.  However, being young you often don't know what you want, and feel battered about by life.  You don't understand the opportunities you really have.

I guess being bipolar makes you young again, because I'm there again.  As a result of being so majorly unstable for so long, I am now without a job.  They didn't fire me, because that would be picking on the disabled chick.  However, they clearly didn't have any idea how to handle me.  I had ceased to become me, and I didn't want to want to work with folks that treated me like someone fragile and incompetent.  

So now I need to find new work.  But my pdoc doesn't want me to work until I'm stable.  Really stable.  Not just the improved state I'm in now.  I have lots of time to ponder my next career move.

I figure I have nothing else to do, so I'm trying on lots of hats.  But it's hard to find one that fits my bipolar skull.  And will pay the rent . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Robin,My experience watching Melissa find a place in the work world encourages me to tell you that any work that springs from a creative, right brain source is an easier fit for bi polar folks. A flexable environment with the focus on creativity rather than billable hours is a good match. A job which brings in other creative people will aalso feel good.My guess is that Seattle will present the right environment for you now that you are seeking a particular match. Many entrapanuars are bi polar. They work on good days and sleep on bad days. That is Melissa's life. She designs web pages. Sometimes she works 4 days straight. Sometimes she sleeps for 3 days. The 30 hours of flex time she has at her job and the web designing she does on her own time balance to support a life without too many ups and downs. I believe that this "time out" of law work will open a creative, exciting and balanced life for you. Hang in there and watch as things unfold. There will be a season perfect for the new, healthy and creative you.xo, Lyn