Monday, January 28, 2008

Battle scars

Today someone asked me how old I am.  I had no hesitation in saying 40.  I'm proud to be 40. I have grey hair starting to crop up.  I'm content with it.  I like being a "woman of a certain age."

Mostly, it seems totally irrelevant to my self esteem or self worth.  I had a harder time with these transitions before I was diagnosed BP.  Now, I'm more interested in what I'm going through.  I am walking through fire.  As one of my fellow campers puts it - we may be in hell, but we know where all the roads are. 

Who really cares about a random age or a few gray hairs.  I want to be one of those women who embrace their age, not run away from it or try to mask it.  Because I've been given a perspective that many haven't.  

I am battle scared and road weary.  And it ain't over yet.

No comments: