Sunday, January 6, 2008

Personal hygiene

OK, one more thought for the night.  The depression materials do tell you that depressed individuals can suffer from a loss of personal hygiene.  I admit this perplexed me at first.  Then I didn't wash my face for four months.  That's right.  Four months.  Oh, I took showers and splashed water on it.  But no soap.  Four months.  Why?  It seemed like too much work.  It's that simple.  Then recently I actually looked at my face.  What did I see?  Dirt.  Blackheads.  Acne (OK - that's actually a side effect of one of my drugs, and a whole other reason to post).  Not a clean shining face.  Why did it take me four months to notice?  Because, I'm depressed.  

I didn't really bother to floss my teeth in the same time period.  Again, that's a lot of work.  Until I got a tooth ache.  That went away when I started to floss again.  Amazing.  

Say it with me people.  Another reason depression stinks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This started happening to me a few months ago. For some reason I just stopped getting into the shower. I'm a profession in my mid-thirties, and I can't bear the thought of standing under the water, or worse, washing my hair.

I live in fleece pajamas when I'm at home and eat peanut butter toast for pretty much every meal.

You are not alone. I would do anything if I thought I could wake up one day and hop into the shower and head off to work without it being an ordeal.

Thanks for sharing your story,

Unknown said...

I've found my hygeine soul mates! Showers? Yuck! I've up to taking one a week and even one every four days. I REALLY hate to wash my hair. Before I became seriously depressed, I had no problem with either.

Anonymous said...

I've found my hygeine soul mates! I've actually improved to the point I'm definitely showering once a week but I'm even doing it every four days now. I HATE washing my hair because then I have to dry it and that's a LOT of work. Before I became seriously depressed, neither showering or washing my hair were issues.