Friday, January 18, 2008

Witness my life, my love (or depression and relationships)

I realized today that my blog has a certain dark tone to it.  Hmmmm.  Oh, that's right - I'm depressed!  I thought I would try to the lighter side today.

Have I said how much I love camp?

So, at bipolar camp today we talked about relationships.  Not a strong point today, but as so often is the case, I needed to hear it.  One of the things we talked about was a need for the relationships in your life to be there to observe your life.  I've always told my husband that I want to be there when he dies.  I want to hold his hand and tell him his life did not go unnoticed.  I want him to know he's not alone.  I want to witness his life.

Those of us that are sick, who are suffering,  need the ones around us to hold our hand, to tell us they love us, and to witness our life.  Here's the trick - the loved one in your life, if they are bipolar, depressed, or otherwise nuts (said in the most respectful tone), may not be able to tell you what they need.

But what they need is someone to witness their life.

So, dear husband, today I want to say thanks for witnessing my life.  I know it's not easy.  I know it takes a chunk out of both of us.  But, thanks.

You know I've always loved you.

No comments: