Monday, January 21, 2008

Music, despair and hope

I know I've been a little prolific today, but bear with me.  It's been a really tough one.

Those of you who know me and are reading this know what a big part music has played in my life. Those who have known me the longest know that it's been a part of me as long as I can remember.  I sing, and have sung in choirs and other groups.  I have played many instruments. And I always had a tape player, CD player, and/or radio going.  And I admit it, I had an 8-track when I was little.  I remember playing "Muskrat Love" on it.  My life had a soundtrack and music reflected my moods, my feelings, my station in life.  I would greet the day with music. There has always been music.

Until I became depressed.  And I could no longer listen to music.  It was a trigger and would send my brain places I didn't want to go.  My husband, I know, has been waiting for me to turn it on again.  But it won't come.  For whatever reason the things that have brought me the most joy in life - music, reading, are all denied to me now.  This is perhaps the cruelest thing.  

But today I wanted to hear one song.  It made me cry, but I played it loud.  If you've got it at home, play it.  It's much more powerful than seeing it on paper.  Divine inspiration or desperation?  Only time will tell.

There Will Come a Day
Faith Hill

It's not easy trying to understand
How the world can be so cruel
Stealing the souls of man
Cloudy skies rain down over all your dreams
You wrestle with the fear and doubts
Sometimes it's hard, but you gotta believe

(Chorus)
There's a better place
Where our Father waits
And every tear He'll wipe away
The darkness will be gone
The weak shall be strong
Hold on to your faith
There will come a day

Wars are raging
Lives are scattered
Innocence is lost
And hopes are shattered
The old are forgotten
The children are forsaken
In this world we're living in
Is there anything sacred

(Chorus)

The song will ring out
Down those golden streets
The voices of Earth and the angels will sing
(Hallelujah)
Every knee will bow
Sin will have no trace
In the glory of His amazing grace

There will come a day
There will come a day
Oh, there will come a day
There will come a day
I know there's coming a day, coming a day






No comments: