Saturday, January 19, 2008

Out of the Mouth of Babes (or How to talk to your children about bipolar disorder)

I've been pretty open and candid with my children about my illness.  It started pretty simply, talking about my brain and how it is different.  Talking about the symptoms of the illness. Have I mentioned my children are brilliant?  

Anyway,  this morning we were all hanging out in our pjs, and my youngest wanted to talk about bipolar disorder.  So I had this great conversation with her about bipolarity.  She paused and said, "Oh, it's like a black diamond run when we ski."  My girls cross country ski, and the black diamond run is very very hilly.  I smiled and said yes.  So, she took it further and talked about how the medicine can try and make it a blue run or a green run.  Have I mentioned . . .

Anyway . . .

When we were getting out of bed she then looked at me and said - today is not a polar bear day (our name for when the bipolar symptoms are running rampant.)  I borrowed the term from a great post on one of the internet support groups, and my children love it.  I was able to hug her, and even laugh a bit.

Honey, it wasn't a polar bear day this morning.  But this is a black diamond run, so the bear needs to growl again.

No comments: